Monday, December 12, 2011

FFA Sub-districts Competition

For those of you who know anything about FFA, you know that it is an awesome organization. I have always been a little more partial towards the Florida Cattlemen's Association, but I love FFA and the organization as a whole.

I have stayed involved in my county, as I am the Manatee County Cattlemen Sweetheart until May. (I was asked to represent our county again, as there were no other young women eligible to be the Sweetheart. Of course, I asked if I had to wear the crown, and then I said absolutely!) :)

Last week, my fellow bovine beauties and I were asked to help with the FFA Sub-districts competition. The bovine beauties group is a few of my close cattlewomen friends, that includes Ashley, the state sweetheart two years before me, also from my county, our county sweetheart the year before me, Jamie, and a few other young ladies (the current sweetheart, Kaitlyn, and our lovely little bovine, April from a neighboring county.)

Ashley, Jamie and I are known for being silly and having a lot of fun together. Ashley just recently got engaged and I can't wait to be a part of the wedding! She is marrying a local Ag teacher, and I like to say that they are a match made in Ag-Heaven. :) Jamie married a rodeo clown/day worker, and we are never short on laughs. When the three of us were asked to help via a facebook message from a local Ag teacher, we couldn't help but message back, "Are you sure?"

The competitions are always fun to watch and help with. I realized how much I missed competing in events such as extemporaneous and prepared speaking, and realized how much I didn't miss events like parliamentary procedure! There were many other portions such as tractor driving and saying the FFA Creed.

Each event is intense and extreme, and I am always impressed at the quality of youth involved. Everyone involved in FFA and the JFCA (Jr. Florida Cattlemen's Association) that I have come across are just wonderful kids. Polite, educated, energetic, and always asking questions with a curiosity that I hope they never outgrow.

The competitions were awesome as always, and I hated leaving the people to drive all the way back up to school. Congratulations to everyone involved, and thanks to everyone who helped, and who allowed me to help.

If you have a child, or are interested in an amazing group of people to become involved with and befriend, I encourage you to look to your local Cattlemen or FFA Chapters. Alumni are always appreciated, and volunteers are always welcome. You never know, you just might become an Ag-nerd like me!

Have a wonderful week!

Sincerely,

The Beef Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment