Friday, January 18, 2013

I'm Proud to be a Floridian!

Hey there! Thanks for keeping up with my blog. It's been a very busy week here in Tallahassee during my internship, but I'm loving it!

Yesterday I visited the an older office in a beautiful building down the road from my office. Let me just say, if you haven't visited Tallahassee, you NEED to. It's one of the most beautiful places. It looks like it doesn't even belong in Florida, because of the scenery and the hills. I feel like I'm in Georgia or another state. It's cold right now, which makes me feel like that even more. I'm in love. I miss my town, and friends and family, but I'm enjoying every minute here.

In Tallahassee, many of the buildings are older and they are made out of beautiful, rustic, romantic red brick. I LOVE this look. The older buildings have this style that makes me want to sit on the balconies and fall in love with a great book and a mug of hot chocolate.

Now that you're in the same mood as I am, you'll appreciate this blog post even more.

Because of my fascination with these great red-brick beauties, the building I visited yesterday held me in awe for several minutes. It wasn't a historical building, so to speak, or a place that you can go and tour, (it's a working office building) but I wish it was. There was this gorgeous luxurious study full of leather chairs and big heavy books. This leads to my discussion of how AWESOME Florida is.

Did you know that Florida was the first place to have cattle? This makes us the birthplace of America's cattle industry! If you've read my other posts, you have heard this already. Being in Tallahassee, and seeing some of our legislation at work, I feel very proud of our great state. There will always be things that need to change, and things that seem unfair at times, but overall, I couldn't dream of living anywhere else.

We found a book called "Florida's Handbook", and we found several editions. This particular one was the 6th edition. The books were written by Allen Morris. It was so neat because this edition covered pretty much everything about Florida from 1957 - 1958. There were around 1.6 million registered voters in the state; now, we have about 11.9 million, as reported by an article by the New York Times in October of this past year. (I'm putting some links to my sources, so feel free to check them out!)

According to this edition, Florida had about 1.4 million beef cattle. We ranked 23rd among the states for number of cattle and calves, but 13th in production. Now, according to statistics from the USDA, we have around 1.7 million, not a huge increase, but (according to this report) we are 16th for number of cattle and calves. According to a report by the Florida Ag Statistic Services, we rank 11th in the nation for beef cattle, 19th in total amount of cattle. (Reports vary depending on the year and source, but most of them are pretty similar.

Here is a picture collage I made of pictures I took while flipping through this awesome piece of history:

I love Florida, and I'm proud to be from such a great state! I'm a history lover when it comes to things that mean a lot to me. Feel free to share your stories about my state or yours, if you live elsewhere in this beautiful country. I always encourage people to research where they are from, because it's something that makes you, YOU. Thanks for reading, feel free to share the facts and always remember to keep learning!

God Bless,

The Beef Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment